Thirteenth.

So this evening, some friends and I gathered to watch Ava Duvernay's incredible, poignant prison documentary, "13th" and it was indeed, a necessary wake up call to those who are still sleeping. Ava did a great job of showing timeline and giving multiple examples to prove her points were more than just "Black conspiracy." I feel so blessed to be woke to these things so this wasn't the first time I was hearing these things but simultaneously so stressed about the current and past state of affairs.
A friend who is an architect brought up her mentor who is a head manager and architect for all the prisons on the East Coast. ALL OF THEM. She was speaking with him and asked how he could feel comfortable doing what he's doing (they're both black). He responded that since he isn't a politician and can't changes the laws around it, he tries to make prisons as comfortable as possible, he tries to make them better. I HAD to say something and speak on it for a moment. This man perpetuates the systems that oppress his very people. Looking them up like animals doesn't make it better if you give them bigger, nicer cages. Do the work, read the materials. Prisoners don't want nicer prisons, they want not to be prisoners. At all. In thinking about this, I truly believe it comes down to intent. What is your intent? Is it to make nicer prisons to house prisoners or to abolish prisons altogether? His goal was to make prisons nicer and do what he can from the inside. I appreciate his standpoint and his efforts but as for me, I aide more with the abolitionists. Don't beautify the system or spruce it up, tear it apart and make sure it doesn't return. 
Another point I felt the need to mention after watching this marvelous documentary was in the form of a question: WHERE WERE THE WOMEN? I loved loved loved the inclusion of Michelle Alexander and the amazing Angela Davis but where were the incarcerated black women in all this talk of the prison industrial complex and how terrible it is for blacks in general and black men being portrayed as dogs? I feel that it was wonderful and incredibly important to put women in the conversation as those with knowledge and points of reference on this topic, in particular black women. We need representation in every and all things. But what about the daily struggles black women in prison face? And the fact that they're being criminalized too? What about the representation there? If you're going to talk about it, I feel you should talk about all of it. Don't just speak on black men and how hard they have it in American society but be mum on the subject of women experiencing the same, if not worse, treatment, racialization and criminalization. Another friend I was talking about this with said she understood my point but felt that a separate documentary would be better to discuss that topic. I do not agree. I'm not saying women need to have taken up half the documentary but at least a mention, a sentence, a shoutout, something. These are all issues America needs to be made aware of. The criminalization of African Americans is just as much of an issue today as it was during slavery and Jim Crow and the still existent War on Drugs. It's not over by a long shot. 
Next and last point of discussion is more of a comment on a comment. We were discussing how some of our parents never taught us these things and how different we are from them in terms of knowledge, passion, activism and what have you. I got a little excited and someone said something to the effect of, "you in your all black. Tell them about it!" (I happened to be wearing all black). I thought this was cute since the Black Panthers were of course mentioned in the documentary and, if for no other reason, their fashion aesthetic is very much in line with mine. I feel that education about these issues and the real history of Black America is of paramount importance. Not just in the halls of greater education which is where I've gleaned this knowledge, but in Black parents teaching their children the truth. Informing children so they learn true, factual history, not just the  2-paragraph blurb in a junior high school history textbook that says, "slavery happened, then Emancipation happened, later Jim Crow happened, but you don't have to worry because we're past all that now." That telling is so wrong and incomplete and one-sided and white-washed it's disgusting but that is unfortunately the blindingly Caucasian-centered history we learn and country we live in. A couple weeks ago, in conversation with someone who'd just visited the African-American Museum of Culture and History, they said to me, "You know if there was a revitalized Black Panther party, I think you'd join." For all my sweetness and calm composure, I do get excited and passionate about things that truly matter to me personally. All I can say, is that I would not be against joining if in fact the Black Panther party had a resurgence. Activism is on my radar. 
PS. If anyone is looking for interesting things to read on these topics of the Black female struggle and criminalization in America for further education, I've included some links to articles and a book or two you might find useful. 

Books
Danielle McGuire, At the Dark End of the Street
Angela Davis, Are Prisons Obsolete
Articles
Kimberle Crenshaw - Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence against Women of Color 

Comments

Popular Posts