Shorts.

Due to December being one of the roughest months of my life in recent history, rather than do one 500-word piece, I decided instead to write out a couple short pieces. I find the last one to be most resonating but that's just my opinion (pun intended, you'll understand later).

So without further ado...


​Snippet #1
I have issues waking up at the time I'm supposed to. One on hand, I KNOW I should get up. I have things to do. A job to be at. Lots of work to do at that job. And yet on the other hand, I really like sleep. It's terrible because how are you supposed to choose between your obligations and your desires. That's a situation that, in theory, is largely applicable to every decision in life. Do you do what you want to do? Or what you should do? What if you can do both? What happens if you only do what you want and your obligations come back to bite you? What if you choose your obligations and your soul continuously dies a little each day? How are we supposed to function with such a cognitive dissonance every day? Is there truly a balance or just people who pretend and attempt to have "make it work" moments like Tim Gunn? My answer to this is: create a relationship with the snooze button. As long as you still make it on-time, you'll be okay. For the most part.

​Snippet #2
I saw a video the other day for some Caucasian young lady on a tube competition singing "Formation" on a stage and it was one of the most painful experiences of my life, ever. It hurt me. Physically. It was excruciating. She sang about negro noses with Jackson five nostrils and I was offended. Even people from the shots of the crowd had this look on their faces that landed somewhere between nonchalance and "why is this happening?" The appropriation of our culture is still insulting to me and I’m just glad I’m not so desensitized as not to feel it. By no means am I saying people shouldn’t use BeyoncĂ©’s music for talent shows or competitions to express their range. What I am saying is, if you happen to be caucasian and you want to do a BeyoncĂ© rendition, pick a song much less racially specific.

Snippet #3
Making sure to take care of your friends is exceedingly important in a day and age where self-centeredness is all the rage. Recently, I had a professor lay out revelation before me, about me. It was painful. She told me things I was aware of but hadn't 100% confirmed and by the time she finished I doubted my entire reasoning behind going to grad school, let alone the one I currently attend, as well as my overall level of intelligence. It was brutal and honest which I love and appreciate and she brought it to my attention in a kind, “I want to help” way, but sitting there in her office, I almost cried. I talked to a few people closest to me about this conversation after the fact and they beautifully and intelligently reminded me of some keys points I must make sure never to forget. They told me I am worth it, grad school is worth it, and most importantly that sometimes, a teacher’s opinion must be regarded as nothing more than that, an opinion. No matter if that opinion may have struck close to some deep-seated issues with self-esteem you may have, do not let the opinions of others steal your joy. The moral of this one folks, is to take everything, even constructive criticism, with a grain of salt.

Comments

Popular Posts