Intro.

Well hello,

So we meet again Blogspot. Starting this second, less personal blog, has been something I've been considering doing for quite a while now in effort to promote and practice better writing skills outside the boundaries of academia or my current vocation, and write about current issues, social or otherwise, that make me feel some type of way. As a friend of mine said recently, "How can we say we want to be writers if we never write?" How indeed. This is my attempt to rectify that so common of phrases. As you may have noticed from the title, I will write about a topic of my choosing in no less than 500 words, no less than once a month. I've even set a reminder. 500 words is the minimum for each piece but by no means the maximum because sometimes you just catch a wave and you have to ride it. The way a surfer would.

I chose to make each piece 500 words in order to challenge myself to get more into the subject than just writing a quick 100, hitting post, and saying "I have an opinion blog." The point is to make concerted, educated arguments about issues that truly matter in America today. They say write what you know, I intend to do just that. If there are any topics in particular you'd like to hear me "speak" on, drop a line and I'll see what I can do. I don't want to talk about things I don't know as much about but I'm open to suggestions.

This will be interesting. It will probably also be rough. But so is life. Nothing everything is peaches and daisies, unicorns and rainbows. I'm going to try to keep it focused on issues and topics in America that I see, writing from the perspective of a young, African-American, female, Ivy League graduate student, living in one of the greatest cities on Earth, in one of the supposedly greatest countries on Earth. Whether or not you believe either of those is subjective. Did you see how I just packed one sentence with the majority of everything I identify as all in one? Pretty great, huh? True I could always come up with "personal" things to write about and spend each post talking about feelings and how annoying people and life can be. But luckily for you my readers:
1. I'm not much of a complainer
2. I have another blog for that (if I feel so inclined)
3. That's not what this space is for

In closing, with 500 Words, I hope I make you think. I hope I make you consider a different angle of the argument, another side of the story, and the fact that there is always more than one side to any and every story. I hope this blog helps you understand that minorities have a voice. And women too. And they can be powerful. I hope this broadens your horizons. I hope it makes you uncomfortable. At the very least, I hope sometimes it pushes your buttons.

Sincerely,
N. Wilson

Comments

Popular Posts