Did You Need Something?

Yesterday I took myself on a date. Nothing major, there was no dinner involved, just some art gallery hopping after class. I cannot express to you in words how much I love going from one to another, back to back, anywhere between West 29th and West 22nd Streets. Also, self-care in these stressful times is very important. Take care of you too, boo. Yesterday’s street of refinement and culture was West 22nd.

I’d noticed a glass Comme des Garçons door on the left side of the block, across 10th Av but had not yet been in to find out if it was a gallery. Take a moment to imagine what a CDG gallery would be even like (it would be amazing, that’s what it would be like)... anyway, after 4 other galleries, I finally popped in to see what was behind the CDG glass door. Inside, a little to my disappointment but all the same, was a store. So of course, I combed the store. The architecture and avant garde fashions that house as produced time and time again never cease to amaze. There were even some incredible dresses on display to tempt you. The sales associates all regarded me, smiled pleasantly, said “hello,” and left me to it which is exactly how I prefer my shopping experiences to go. Overall, it was a delightful experience and I want their perfume and a $405 shirt now.

Fast forward to about 40 minutes later. I was back! This time with a friend in toe. He’d been headed downtown to go wine shopping and met me at 22nd and 10th. I told him about the store and he simply had to see it so we went. The experience was completely different. Upon arrival everyone was cordial. One associate I remembered due to her black and white ensemble from the first go-round walked up while we were gushing with fashion lust over a coat that boasted four different patterns and textures including one with fur. We were imagining outfits, touching it, the usual. All of a sudden, the B&W associate walks up and just stands awkwardly behind us. She says hi (this is the second time since we’ve been in the store) and asks if we need anything. We say no, just admiring. And she smiles. But she doesn’t move. Not an inch. Just stands there. Waiting. Like we’re going to change our minds and our wallets are going to have an inspired relegation and increase 10-fold causing us big to exclaim, “We’ll take two!” (This did not happen). Instead she just stands there. Awkwardly. For multiple minutes. We both are fully aware of her presence and keep glancing around like we missed something. Finally, my friend (who is also Black), turns and flat out asks, “Oh did you need something?”

She smiles awkwardly and said, “No, I was just checking,” and FINALLY walked away. She then proceeded to follow us around for the rest of the time we were in the store. A few feet back, keeping an eye on us, just in case.

Why she felt this was necessary was beyond me. When going through the store, touching things, smelling things, handling things, by myself, I was left to my own devices. But the moment two Black people, instead of just one, are in a high fashion store, there’s a sudden security risk?? My friend and I dress well too so there were no “visiual stigmas” to be blamed. We looked like we could afford it.

Just because we’re young and Black ma’am does not by any means mean we’re going to rob the store. Most of the items are just huge and clunky it would be a job just getting them into your bag undetected in the first place. And while I can’t say I’ll never go back to a CDG store, I can say it’s impossible I won’t return to that one in particular. Because B&W associate ma’am, stereotyping is rude, awkward, unnecessary, racist, intrusive, and can very easily cost you your commission.

Yes, this is the entrance. It’s very artsy and hip.

Comments

Popular Posts