Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations

Last Wednesday, though it was both raining and snowing, simultaneously, I attended a series of conversations at the Apollo Theater in Harlem hosted by the one and only Oprah. She was taping them to use on her upcoming televised series entitled "SuperSoul Conversations," debuting on OWN later this month. Rather than try to give a synopsis of the entire, amazing event that took place, I’ll give you my thoughts along with my notes from each conversant. Also, just as an aside, it was very interesting to note that the men who attended the talk were all dressed very, very casually, with the exception of Stephen Colbert, because he had to go back to work downtown after the talk. The women however, were just as fashionably dressed as ever, heels and all. I think that speaks volumes to the either the type of women asked to attend (both knowledgeable and fashionable, a killer combination) OR that stereotypes of women in public places require they always look their best for fear of being shamed for their appearance and no one hearing their words as a result but I digress:

~
Jordan Peele --
He gave some insights for Get Out, talked about the highly disappointing ending they originally shot for it and gave you hope for more representative film because after all, it does imitate life (and vice versa to some extent):
You do the work that you want to see.
Affecting films can change people’s minds. They can build empathy by watching the journey through someone else's eyes. It’s important to be able to reach people where they are so you can understand their perspective before attempting to change it.
 
Stephen Colbert --
I won’t lie, I was quite surprised by the amount of takeaways I got from Colbert considering and I don’t follow him at all. Here it goes:
If you’re not nervous, you’re not trying (this is applicable generally to all things which require self-application).
The facts will always matter.
Fame isn’t important, it allows you to do the work. Use it as a platform to do so.
Surround yourself with people who are willing to tell you the truth. Whether or not you’re famous, you need people who will keep 100% with you.
You can’t think about thinking. Don’t read your own press. If you believe the positive, you have to believe the negative. Learn to take criticism but from those who actually know you and understand you, not just any troll willing to step up.
News is what someone else doesn’t want you to print. That’s why it’s newsworthy.
This administration wants you to think you’re crazy. You’re not crazy. What you think is happening is happening.
 
Trevor Noah --
He’s beautiful in person and I’d love to give him a hug. Also he lived through apartheid which is mind-boggling:
You cannot give what you do not have. Build first. Then give to others, support your family, clear the way for those coming after you. Lift your family up as well.
It’s tough to see the perspective of others when you don’t see them as people.
Sometimes your protest does not have to be outspoken and loud. Sometimes you can literally protest with your life and let it speak for you.
Let yourself be guided.
 
Yara Shahidi --
She is an amazing teenager that we should all aspire to be like:
To be free is to wake up in the morning and decide for yourself what to do with the day.
Blackness is not monolithic. It has a million different shapes and tones and experiences. Don’t expect any 2 to be similar.
Cultivating interests and being multi-faceted no matter your age is critical. Engage and continually expand your horizons.
Exist in your fullness.
 
This next scene I'm about to describe to you was probably the most inspiring moment of the entire event for me. At the end of their conversation, Oprah and Yara are standing up and Oprah turns to Yara, places her hands on her shoulders and says, “I’m going to tell you something Quincy Jones told me. It was right after I’d finished doing “The Color Purple” and I thought I’d hit the top. I worried there was no where for me to go and no greater work for me to do after. He’s looking at me and he says, ‘Honey, your future’s so bright, it burns my eyes!’” I almost cried after that. Thought she didn’t say it directly to me, I’m still going to take that to heart. I completely understand what everyone means when they say even if she isn’t, it feels like Oprah is speaking directly and individually to you.
 
Lin-Manuel Miranda --
Being an immigrant and working hard come naturally.
Shithole countries aren’t an actual thing.
Bring light and understanding to history so kids actually learn about and relate to the old fogies in their dusty books.This in turn will bring deeper understanding to the youth of today. You cannot promote change if we do not know from whence we came.
 
Salma Hayek --
Salma spoke at length about her involvement with the #MeToo initiative and the work she’s been doing on it since before it was this popular as well as her experience with Harvey Weinstein personally. It was a lot but necessary and I appreciated hearing more from her:
Where am I? What do I really want? In this moment? In general?
Attractive women have struggles too. There’s a whole different side to being pretty and the pressures that come with it as well as the liberties people think they can take with you simply because of your face.
You cannot get lost in the way of your calling. Do not allow it to happen. Stay you. Keep your principles. Have direction and stick to it.
Women need to stop apologizing to others. They only need to apologize to themselves. Self-forgiveness is very important. Not to anyone else. It’s like apologizing for your own existence. You don’t ever need to apologize simply for existing.
Be angry. Use your angry energy. But do not let it blind you. Don’t let it affect you that way and dissuade you from your original course of action.
Changing the dialogue is important. It’s not a moment. It’s a movement.
Change can happen but we as humans don’t like it unless we know where it’s headed and what the end will be. If we can’t control change, we’re not interested. Unfortunately, this is not how change works. It either happens and you like it or it happens and you don’t. You cannot stop it from coming.
 
~
After relaying the fantastical event to a coworker of mine the next day at work (where I also questioned why I was there instead of going out and changing the world, instantaneously), she asked me, "So what did you get?" Everyone always assumes that because it's Oprah, you're going to be receiving something. It might be a new car, it might be a toaster oven, it might be your bills paid for one month, it might be anything Oprah's giving heart desires. These conversations however were worth so much more than anything physical I could have received that day. They were inspiring and moving and in turn made everyone in the audience want to move mountains and go out immediately and follow their dreams. Once it was finished, the friends I attended the event with, along with myself, were ecstatic and full of ideas for how to better ourselves, our endeavors, and our goals. 
 
In response to her question, I looked my coworker dead in the face and said, "I got inspired."

What a woman

Oprah and Jordan Peele having a chat

Yara Shahidi is smarter and even more amazing than you think

Comments

Popular Posts