A Mercurial Moonwalk: Notes on "Leaving Neverland"



I just finished the harrowing experience that is watching the Michael Jackson documentary on HBO. If you are a child of the 80s and 90s specifically, as I am, old enough to love him but young enough not to fully understand what was going on with the trial the first time around, this is not necessarily shocking but incredibly hard to reconcile mentally.

Suffice it to say, there are a lot of moving parts here. The fact that all of this is truly coming to light in 2019. The fact that Michael Jackson has been dead for 10 years. The fact that Wade Robson tried his case in court six years ago and the judge dismissed it. The timing on this documentary is of incredible interest to me. It’s hard to know how to feel after watching this. Reconciling the man and the monster is intensive. Dealing with the charges, etc. against Bill Cosby and R. Kelly were somehow so much more straightforward than this. Not to mention the fact that both of them can still speak for themselves at this time. I understand royalties, and Michael Jackson's legacy are at stake here but let's take a step back.

Unlike in Kelly's documentary, Jackson's camp was not interviewed at all. Whether or not that was on purpose, I am not sure. All I know is that this entire documentary feels so incredibly one-sided. Also, this documentary coming out now begs the question, why now specifically? What's so different about now vs. Wade's interview in 2013? What more is there to be gained? What more is there to be won?

I want to take a clear moment here to say this is in no way criticizing the victims. I believe victims should be believed, consistently. Their stories need to be heard and the truth needs to come to light. I also understand that victims cannot be made to share their truth immediately after or during their trauma. When they speak, and if they speak, is up to them and them alone. If they choose never to mention a word, that is their prerogative. If they choose to shout it from the hilltops the moment it takes place, more power to them. Either way, they should be believed, listened to, and the stories of their truths investigated further to see if some level of justice can be obtained.

However, one can posit there are multiple parties at fault here. Yes, Michael Jackson should never have been touching young boys in his palatial ranch of wonders but also, the mothers. Not being a parent myself, it baffles my mind that Mrs. Safechuck and Mrs. Robson were each comfortable with letting their elementary-aged sons sleep in the same bed as Michael Jackson, no matter how close they were. No matter how friendly Michael seemed, no matter how close they were, no matter how much your son begged, it is astonishing to me that it did not strike you as odd that a 30+ year old man wanted to share a bed with your 7-year old son on multiple occasions, with or without your consent. Despite my being female, I know for a fact that would never have taken place under the watchful eye of my mother. I simply cannot wrap my head around how this would have been considered "acceptable" behavior. Yes, he's a superstar. Yes, he makes amazing music. Yes, he could further your son's career to astronomical heights. Nowhere do I see any justification for letting your son sleep in the same bed as this man and essentially allowing yourself to be bought off. How they will ever work to forgive themselves and attain the forgiveness of their families is beyond me.

The behavior of multiple parties involved here is questionable at best and abhorrent at first. Unfortunately, in this regard, I have no closing words of hope or solace to give. This documentary is still too fresh, the amount of processing needed to expansive, the amount of material too nauseating. If you're thinking of watching this documentary, I advise you to do so but be aware of the following:
1. There is always more to a story than meets the eye.
2. Michael is not here himself to defend himself in any way.
3. The timing of this documentary is not fully explained and so the motives behind producing it now are unknown and mercurial.
4. It is not beyond the purview of some to slander the legacies of the dead in search of fame and fortune.

I cannot help but feel saddened at the fact I may never be able to enjoy "Thriller" again. In closing, there is work to be done when it comes to separating the musical genius, beloved around the world for his effect and his voice, and the man who sexually abused children systematically under their mothers very noses. I wish you the best of luck in getting through it if you choose to do so.

xx


Comments

Popular Posts