In the Comments: Correcting Strangers When They're Wrong

While working from home, it's easy to get distracted with things that wouldn't otherwise concern us if we were at the office. Today, I was distracted by the official statement made from the President of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists about the murders of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and George Floyd. Up to today, I was not aware the President of an organization and church I have been apart of since birth, had spoken on these issues so naturally, I was keen to read his words.

What I read was not exactly promising. Hemming and hawing with only letters of condolence and Edible Arrangements (yes literally, chocolate-dipped fruits, here's a link) being sent and no real guidance other than "thoughts and prayers" for fellow congregants to do. Nothing to spur the spirit towards togetherness or fighting back against the racism that so many SDAs of color face.

But that is not why I'm here today.
I'm here today because of a comment. One comment, made by a random man I will probably never meet. I read his comment, along with some others regarding the GC statement and was simply appalled at the misinformation. So I commented back and corrected him, politely, and I sincerely hope he sees it, because these issues are not so "straightforward" the way he presents them.

His comment is screenshot below:



My response is here:

Amanda Seales recently posted a video saying she was no longer in the business of educating people, specifically white people, about all things Black and oppression when Google and books exist. While I completely agree and don't plan on making a habit of this, sometimes, people really just need to be told when they're wrong.

Courtesy of @hatnimlee via @Papermagazine

Be well, get some rest, drink some water, and never forget to keep your foot on their necks until they hear us.

Courtesy of @happycorkbrooklyn, my local wine shop

xx

Comments

Popular Posts